The MITACS program enables UNIL PhD students to complete a research stay of 3 to 6 months at the University of Montreal (UofM). All fields of research are eligible. A stay in an institution affiliated to the University of Montreal (e.g. HEC Montreal, Polytechnic School of Montreal) is not possible.
For such a research stay, a scholarship of 6,000 Canadian dollars is available, regardless of the length of the stay. Half of this sum is paid by MITACS, a Canadian not-for-profit organization, which has signed an agreement with the University of Montreal, and the other half by UNIL.
- An additional call for applications will be launched this spring (March) for research projects/stays planned at UofM as early as September 2024. The deadline for project submission will most likely be February 2025.
An application can be sent to us at any time before the indicated deadline. However, there are two important points to keep in mind :
- At least 16 weeks before the beginning of your planned project/stay at UofM, MITACS must receive the complete application from the international relations office of UNIL. Add at least 2 weeks more, the time needed to review the application submitted to our office
- After the official acceptance of an application by MITACS, you have one year to start your research stay at the UofM.
Please take note of the important information below before downloading the application form :
- Please read carefully the preliminary information in the guidelines. This "program guide" is part of the "application kit" to be downloaded
- In the form to be filled out, you must describe your project during your research stay at the University of Montreal. Do not describe your thesis in general. It must be consistent with the calendar
- The stay must be entirely devoted to research – this must be reflected in the form
- This is a full-time research stay. Therefore, do not mention courses and seminars that will be taken during the stay at UofM
- The form can be completed either in English or in French (see the respective version of this website)
- A PhD student being already in Canada cannot apply for a MITACS scholarship unless he or she returns to his or her country and then departs again for the research stay at the University of Montreal.
To download the application form, please go on the website of the University of Montreal. Click on "1. Apply", scroll to "Submitting applications" and click on "Application kit". The form 1 (research proposal) must be completed (without deleting the comments and advice) and sent electronically to Mr Matthias Buess. You should not send your research proposal directly to MITACS nor to UofM. The form 2 (co-funding) is not needed for your application.
Our office will send your reserach proposal to MITACS, which will carry out a pre-assessment. If the proposal complies, MITACS will send you a link to the application portal, and you will be guided through the rest of the procedure. Both supervisors will also need to open an account to approve the project.